Hey Bodhi Bar Parents!
It's that spooky time of year again, when our little monsters get to dress up and have some fun. But as we're preparing for a night of Halloween shenanigans, it's also a good time to reflect on what we feed our children and how it impacts their overall health.
The Issue with Junk Food
We all know that junk food isn't good for us, but do we know the depth of the damage it can cause? One of the most significant culprits in junk food is refined sugar. This sweet poison can lead to a myriad of health issues, including:
- Weight Gain: Refined sugars are empty calories and can contribute to unnecessary weight gain, increasing the risk of obesity.
- Increased Risk of Heart Disease: High-sugar diets have been associated with an increased risk of heart disease, the number one cause of death worldwide.
- Increased Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Consuming too much sugar can lead to resistance to insulin, a hormone essential for blood sugar regulation.
- Tooth Decay: Sugary snacks are the primary cause of cavities.
- Decreased Energy Levels: The sugar high is always followed by the sugar crash, leaving kids tired and irritable.
Now, we know the thought of Halloween without sweets sounds almost blasphemous. But what if we told you there's a way to have a sweet treat that's healthy and fun to make?
Edible Playdough: A Halloween Delight!
Move aside, candy bars and sugary sweets! We've got a fun and healthy treat you and your kids can enjoy making together this Halloween. This playdough isn't just safe to eat; it's meant to be savored!
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered nut milk
- 1 cup Honey (try to use local unpasteurized honey for all the health benefits!)
- 1 cup organic oatmeal
- In a bowl, blend the peanut butter and honey until smooth.
- In a separate container, whisk together the powdered milk and oatmeal, ensuring no clumps remain.
- Mix the milk-oatmeal blend into the peanut butter-honey concoction until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Roll the dough into little balls, and voilà!
A Natural Rainbow of Colors
Worried about artificial coloring? Let nature come to the rescue! Here's how to color your playdough without any artificial dyes:
- Red/Pink: Steam or boil beetroot until the water turns red. Add this colored water to your playdough.
- Orange: Boil shredded carrot or shake in a jar until the water is tinted. Mix with the playdough.
- Green: Boil and purée spinach. Blend the green purée into your dough, sieving if necessary.
- Yellow/Orange: Use turmeric powder mixed in water. But remember, turmeric can stain, so play with care!
This Halloween, let's commit to healthier alternatives and crafty fun. After all, a healthy child is a happy child. Wishing all our Bodhi Bar families a delightful and health-filled Halloween!
And for us parents...let's not forget balance is key for us too!
Check out some of the Bodhi Bar Treats with no sugary tricks!